Discuss how hydrogen bonds are important for the following:
1. Growth of plants, the primary producers on land.
2. Moderation of temperature on the planet.
3. Survival of marine organisms in cold climates.
4. Transport of nutrients and waste products in the bloodstream.
Define pH. What is the pH of solutions with the following H+ ion concentrations:
What is the concentration of H+ ions in a solution with pH3?
Why are whole grains considered more healthy than processed grains? (httn://health.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/moore-center/pdf/presentation-slides-Nicola-McKeown-2-25-2014- mfc-nutrition-and-health-update.pdf)
1. Which nutrients are lost when whole grains are processed?
2. Of the nutrients identified, which ones are macromolecules?
3. What are the building blocks of macromolecules?
4. List the functions of:
4. Nucleic acids
5. How is starch different from cellulose in terms of:
2. Nutritional role?
6. What is dietary fiber and what are the health benefits of dietary fiber?
7. How is glycogen similar or different from starch?
8. What is the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats?