American Public University
School of Health Sciences
NURS 300-Professional Transitions in Nursing
BSN Interview Directions
- Initiate contact with a BSN nurse who is currently active in practice, who became an RN through an Associate Degree or diploma program, and subsequently went on for a BSN.
- Ask the nurse if he/she would consent to a 20-30 minute interview with you.
- Assure the RN that you will not use his/her name or agency in any written or oral report.
- You may provide him/her with a list of questions prior to the interview, but it is not necessary.
- Meet with the individual in person. You may not use email or phone to conduct this interview.
- Be sure to allow adequate, uninterrupted time for the nurse to provide thoughtful answers.
- Engage the nurse in a conversation and ask the nine questions below. Include a professional question of your own.
- Include the questions and the interviewee’s responses below the questions.
- Answer questions thoroughly in paragraph form.
- *Write a reflective summary of the interview questions addressing the following:
- What feelings were you experiencing during the interview?
- What personal values did this interview challenge?
- Were the answers of the RN as expected or did they surprise you?
- How useful was any advice given to you by the RN? Why or why not?
- How will this interview influence your professional goals?
- What type of nursing education program(s) have you completed? Include program and date.
- Describe your personal philosophy of nursing?
- What factors went into your decision to earn a BSN?
- What were the most relevant topics learned in your BSN program related to your nursing practice?
- Give examples of how you have applied key components of your BSN program in your everyday practice?
- Describe career opportunities resulting from completion of a BSN program.
- Share your plans for furthering your career and advancing nursing as a profession for the future.
- How do you envision the role of the BSN nurse impacting the delivery of healthcare?
- What advice can you share with me to support my professional growth?
- Additional question ______________________________________________
*Be sure to include your thoughtful reflection at the end.