1. a. What is meant by the term “clone”?
b. Why is it important to obtain large quantities of a particular DNA sequence?
c. List the steps you would take to obtain a clone of a DNA sequence.
2. For each of the following, give a brief description:
recombinant DNA molecule
3. a. What is the process of transformation?
b. What is meant by competent cells?
c. What would you use a selection system for?
4. a. What information could you obtain from a southern blot?
b. What information could you obtain from a northern blot?
c. Describe what a genomic library is.
5. a. You are a forensic scientist and you perform a southern analysis to try and link a possible suspect to the scene of a crime. Draw the results of such a southern analysis and decide if the suspect was present or not.
b. Describe a possible application for making a transgenic animal or plant.