Lab to Determine the Outcome of Heredity
For each assignment, you will complete the following steps:
1. Click on Learning Materials to Access the M.U.S.E.
2. Use the M.U.S.E. link to complete the lab for this Unit.
3. Track your results in the lab worksheet that is provided.
4. Complete a lab report using the scientific method.
5. Submit your completed lab worksheet to the assignment box.
Using the Laws of Inheritance
Gregor Mendel’s studies laid the foundation for modern genetics. In a series of elegant experiments, Mendel was able to deduce the most fundamental laws of single-gene and multiple-gene inheritance without having the scientific data on chromosomes, their structure, or meiotic segregation. In this lab, you will learn about and apply examples for 3 different patterns of human inheritance of traits.
In this lab, you will view information and complete activities to answer the following questions about genes and inheritance:
• What is a Punnett Square? How can it be used to analyze possible genetic outcomes for offspring?
• What is dominant/recessive inheritance?
• What is X-linked inheritance?
• What is codominant inheritance of genes?
Using the M.U.S.E. link, review the background information and animation to complete your report.