1) Describe the natural history and unique physical characteristics of the thylacine. What it ate, where it lived and what did it look like? What were the reasons or factors that caused them to eventually go extinct?
2) In your opinion, what could have been done to stop the extermination of the thylacine? Can you think of another predator today that is being exterminated as a result of man’s fear and ignorance? hint: they are an American species just recently introduced to the Northern Rocky Mountains. Do a google search and write about this current issue. Who? Where? Why?
3) Describe the passenger pigeon’s natural history and the factors that caused it to go extinct. How does it’s story compare with the thylacine?
4) List and explain the four common characteristics that certain species have that may make them more vulnerable to extinction than other species as discussed in the lecture. Give examples of each.
5) Write about your thoughts on the theory that we are headed for the 6th mass extinction. Explain what is meant by the 6th mass extinction. Why should we care?