1. It has been hypothesized that, if the sun disappeared, all life would end. Other than the obvious drop in temperature, why would humans probably die if the sun suIDenly stopped shining? Outline the flow of energy that takes place ,including energy transformations
2. It takes an input of energy to create starch from glucose; however, energy is released when glucose is created from starch. Why is this case? Can you apply a specific law of thermodynamics to explain this ?
3. Would ATP be the energy currency of the cell if the phosphate groups the cell contains were not charged? Why or why ?
4. Phosphofructokinase is an enzyme involved in glycolysis, which is a metabolic pathway involved in ATP production. It can be allosterically regulated by both ATP and ADP. Why is regulating the activity of this enzyme important? Predict what will happen to the rate of reaction when ATP levels in the cell are high, and predict what will happen when the levels of ADP in the cell are high.
5. A woman suffering from severe dehydration goes into the hospital. The doctor tells the woman that her blood has far too much solute in it and not enough water. Explain how this condition could affect the cells of her body and why.
6. An accident victim lost a lot of blood and was rushed to the emergency room. In the emergency room, the first thing the doctors did was replace lost fluids by giving an IV of pure water. But this caused the patient to die. Propose a reason why the patient died.
7. What are two major differences between active transport and passive transport? Please give a specific example of each that occurs within a eukaryotic cell.