Inheritance of blood types
Multiple alleles and codominance are important concepts in genetics. The ABO blood groups represent a well-known example of these concepts. Answer the following questions to gain a greater understanding of these concepts:
- What blood type(s) can a child born to a mother with B- blood type and a father with A+ blood type have? Explain your answer fully. Be sure to focus on the concepts of dominant and recessive alleles, multiple alleles, and codominance in your explanation.
- Are there any special concerns this mother should consider?
- How do you think O can be the most common blood type when O is recessive?
- Describe another trait in humans that shows multiple alleles.
- Although the human population as a whole share the same 29 known blood systems, not all ethnic groups have the same ratios of blood types in their populations. Discuss this fact from an evolutionary perspective.
Your initial post should be at least 200 words. Your initial post should also contain 2 literature references.