1. What was the general attitude of the people and the government of the US during the 1800’s towards nature? What specific acts were put in place to exemplify this attitude? What is the manifest destiny?
2. Why did the Railroad companies to hire artists? What were these artists trying to convey through the art? Describe the characteristics they included.
3. Describe and compare Thomas Moran and Albert Bierstadt’s paintings in your own words, which painting had the most impact on you and why?
4. What was the style that the early California artists like Granville Redmond followed, describe this style, what were they trying to capture?
5. Do a google search on one other Early California Impressionist, write a 1/2 page on their life and work. Pick a painting of theirs that you particularly liked and compare it with Granville Redmond, similarities differences etc.