Two Questions. “Tchaikovsky and Women in Art” & “Inheritance and Genetic Engineering”
“Tchaikovsky and Women in Art” Please respond to one of the following, using sources under the Explore headingas the basis of your response:
• Select one composition by Tchaikovsky that you enjoy. Describe the music and subject matter of that work, and explain why you enjoy it. Explain the key reasons why you believe that compositions by Tchaikovsky continue to be popular with contemporary orchestras and audiences. Passionate nationalism, like Tchaikovsky’s for Russia, could be a feature of Romantic art and music and in the arts of the late 1800s. Give primary examples of music today (besides national anthems) that is characterized by nationalism.
• Select two paintings depicting females by both a male artist and female artist named within the Explore section. Compare and contrast these two depictions of women, and comment on any general tendencies that you detect among artists of that era in this respect. Compare this situation in the late 1800s to the way females are depicted in our own modern times, using at least one specific modern example.
• Chapter 31 (pp.1039-1040), famous overture and ballet music compositions; review the Week 6 “Music Folder”
• Audio of musical compositions on Tchaikovsky webpage , Kennedy Center Website at http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/artists/?entity_id=3651&source_type=C
• Video clip of Tchaikovsky (1812 Overture) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrsYD46W1U0
Artists’ Depictions of Women
• Chapters 31 and 32, depictions of women by male artists Manet, Degas, Dewing, Eakins and by female artists Cassatt, Morisot, Haudecort-Lescot, Sara M. Peale
• National Museum of Women in the Arts at http://www.nmwa.org/explore/collection-highlights/18th%E2%80%9319th-century
• National Gallery of Art (search by artist name) at http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/Collection/artists.html?pageNumber=1
“Inheritance and Genetic Engineering”
Note: Online students, please respond to one of the following three bulleted items.
• Read the Hastings Science and Technology Law Journal entitled, “Concerns Associated with Expanding DNA Databases” found here then briefly discuss your understanding of DNA fingerprinting technology. Next debate whether or not you would submit your DNA to a national DNA fingerprint database. Justify your response.
• Read the Molecular Therapy article entitled, “The State of Gene Therapies: The FDA Perspective found here then briefly describe your understanding of gene therapy technology. Next take stance as to whether or not you think genetic therapy is dangerous when using human clinical trials. Justify your response.
• Explain in 100 to 250 words the science behind why human eyes come in so many colors. Next briefly discuss your understanding of Mendelian and non-Mendelian patterns of inheritance then describe how human eye color can be determined in relation to patterns of inheritance.