1. Identify the major similarities and differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
2. Where is the DNA housed in a prokaryotic cell? Where is it housed in a eukaryotic cell?
3. Name three structures which provide support and protection in a eukaryotic cell.
Experiment 1: Cell Structure and Function
1. What is the difference between the rough and smooth endoplasmic reticulum?
2. Would an animal cell be able to survive without a mitochondria? Why or why not?
3. What is the function of a lysosome?
Experiment 2: Exploring Cell Size
1. How did the surface area affect the diffusion of the block? What about the volume? What about the surface area to volume ratio? Which of these had the greatest effect on the diffusion of the block?
2. How does this experiment demonstrate the need for larger cells to divide?
3. Determine the surface area, volume, and surface area to volume ratio for the following three blocks and record your answers in the table below. Then, state which block you believe would be the most efficient as a cellular morphology, and write a summary stating why.