The Research Question, Literature Review, and Research Hypothesis
Newton, Bower, and Williams (2004) outline the process of “devising and revising” a research question, be it descriptive, relational, or comparative. After reading their paper, write a three-page paper that addresses the following:
- How do descriptive research questions differ from questions of relationship? From questions of comparison?
- How should a researcher determine if prior research exists on her intended research topic?
- What factors should be used to gauge the quality of previous research? Why are these important in making this assessment?
- Should formulation of a research question precede or follow consultation with the scholarly literature? Please explain.
- You are expected to consult the scholarly literature in preparing your paper; you are also expected to incorporate relevant background readings.
- Your paper should be written in your own words. This will enable me to assess your level of understanding.
- In order to earn full credit, you must clearly show that you have read ALL required background materials.
- Be sure to cite your references in the text of all papers and on the reference list at the end. For examples, look at the way the references are listed in the modules and on the background reading list.
- Proofread your paper to be sure grammar and punctuation are correct and that each part of the assignment has been address clearly and completely.
Length: 3 pages typed, double-spaced.