Prior to engaging in this discussion, read Chapter 5 in your text, watch the Peter Attia: Is the obesity crisis hiding a bigger problem? video, and review any relevant Instructor Guidance.
For this discussion, please reference the information in the SOC313 Family Document. Lila Miller Goldberg is a 45-year-old diabetic. Since her pregnancy years ago, she has had difficulty losing weight. She has Type II insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM), and has been symptomatic for more than 10 years. She has been resistant about changing her diet and has been inconsistent with treatment, despite her health. She always hated her mother Ellaâ€™s fixation on nutrition while she was growing up, the different diets she tried, and the â€œweird mealsâ€ she prepared. She prefers quick and easy convenience foods, such as fast food and frozen meals. After all, she is a busy working mom! She has never liked to exercise and, with the pain that has developed in her feet, it is physically too difficult.
Analyze and discuss the relationship between Lilaâ€™s environment growing up, her physiology, and her attitudes and behaviors. Use the following questions to guide your explanation, and be certain to apply basic medical terminology as appropriate.
- How might Lilaâ€™s condition affect her thinking, her relationships, and social situations? In what ways might these factors worsen her condition?
- How has Lilaâ€™s aversion to her motherâ€™s dietary fanaticism while she was growing up affected her choices and, as a result, her health?
- How might Lilaâ€™s condition of being overweight affect her relationships?
- How might others in Lilaâ€™s family and community view her, and how might this affect how she views herself?
- What do you believe are Lilaâ€™s options at this time? Explain your choices.
- If you were Lilaâ€™s close friend, how might you counsel her based upon your understanding of the
- Biopsychosocial aspects related to her circumstances? Provide a statement from at least one of the required and/or recommended resources that supports your reasoning.
Your initial post must be a minimum of 250 words with at least one scholarly source beyond your textbook.