Each week students are asked to go on a virtual tour of an important local, state, or federal agency that provides support, service or advocacy for aging adults. This website that students are to visit, will be provided, and will change from week to week. This is an important component to this survey course, as it will provides an overview of important information associated with aging.
ULOs reflected in discussion:
- Identify the types and prevalence of mental health conditions among adults. (CLO 1 and 2)
- Translate the impact of mental health potentially on activities of daily living. (CLO 1 and 4
You are asked to take a virtual tour of the website provided. After your tour, you are asked to reflect upon the information that is provided in the context of the chapter covered in class during this unit.
- When you reflect upon this information, you are asked to use APA style and to specifically cite information from the text.
- You are also asked to respond to at least one peers post. This thoughtful response needs to be more detailed and specific. Responses like “Nice post” or “Good job” are unacceptable and thus not worth any credit.
Here is the link:
- VIRTUAL TOUR: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/suicide… (Links to an external site.)
On July 3 1946, President Harry Truman signed the National Mental Health Act, established the National Institute of Mental Health. National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH): The mission of the NIMH is to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery, and cure. As discussed earlier in this presentation, depression is not a normal part of aging.
This week, as you go to the link above, describe the change in suicide as the cause of death, as it changes between age groups. Further, as you focus specifically on the data for oldest aged group, hypothesize on reasons for where suicide is ranked in top ten causes of death. How might ADLs and IADLs play a role?