For this Assignment, review all of the Learning Resources concerning malingering and addiction related to the treatment of sleep disorders. Consider the major drugs used to treat sleep disorders and the potential risk for addiction that the medicines pose. Examine the role of the counselor in preventing or dealing with these issues.
In a 3- to 5-page APA-formatted paper, include the following:
- A description of the major types of drugs prescribed for sleep disorders
- An explanation of the potential for addiction associated with these medicines
- An explanation of the issues related to malingering in the treatment of sleep disorders
- An explanation of the counselor’s role in mitigating the potentialities of malingering
- Support your response with at least one peer-reviewed article from the Walden Library that addresses a counseling issue related to malingering and addiction in treating sleep disorders
- Explain how you will incorporate the information found in the peer-reviewed article you selected.
- Perry, P. J., Alexander, B., Liskow, B. I., & DeVane, C. L. (2007). Psychotropic drug handbook (8th ed.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 5, “Hypnotics” (pp. 352–403)
- Preston, J. D., O’Neal, J. H., & Talaga, M. C. (2017). Handbook of clinical psychopharmacology for therapists (8th ed.). Oakland, CA: New Harbinger.
- Chapter 15, “Other Miscellaneous Disorders” (pp. 161-174)
- Friedman, R. A. (2006). The changing face of teenage drug abuse—The trend toward prescription drugs. New England Journal of Medicine, 354(14), 1448–1450. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.