Applying the Problem Solving Framework:
- Theme or Title: Focusing on the problem and not prescriptive of solutions.
- Background: Any relevant information which might be important in order to understand the importance, impact, or extent of the problem and how the problem relates to any organizational strategies or goals. Analyze data trends for this measure over time.
- Current State: Uses graphical display(s) of data to illustrate the gap between current quality performance and a desired standard. May break down the data to narrow focus/scope of the problem or identify Point of Cause (PoC). Should show â€œwhat/where is,â€ as well as â€œwhat/where is not,â€ the problem (e.g., breaks down a departmental no-show rate by division, showing the department with the highest no-show rate and the gap from the desired no-show rate).
- Goal Statement: Provides a SMART goal statement addressing the gap in quality. Should be represented graphically, as well as verbally
- Root Cause Analysis: May break down the data further to show significant drivers or factors contributing to the problem. Provides a logical connection between the observed data (effect) and cause(s), ideally identifying a root cause to be addressed through countermeasures. (e.g., breaks down division no-show rate by categories of causes, provides a Fishbone or 5 Whys related to highest impact cause).
- Countermeasures: List identified problem causes and potential improvement interventions to be tested.
- Effect Confirmation: Measure and show results of countermeasure testing in reducing the targeted effect or gap in quality. You will need to extrapolate expected results based on data given.
- Follow-Up Actions: May list plans to adopt, adjust, or abandon tested countermeasures. Can include standardization, communication, change management, sustainment/control, and diffusion needs.
Fill out every section and please do not modify it. Use the A3 worksheet to help you complete the A4b template. Both the A4b template and the A3 template will be submitted.
Note: Any relevant graphs and data from Assignment 4A should be incorporated into the A3 as needed. No appendices should be required.