Here is a brief video example of CBPR happening in Detroit to get you started (you do not need to comment on this video; it is simply one example to get you started thinking about CBPR in action):
Discuss: For your discussion this week, please do the following.
- Find a video or research example (article or website) of CBPR by conducting an Internet search or using CBPR
- Make sure the example is truly CBPR. CBPR is different from community-engaged research or community-based research; the participatory aspect of CBPR is important.
- Choose an example that identifies itself as CBPR.
- Share a link to your choice and describe the study or project for your initial post.
- Discuss the value you see in having the community lead the change efforts in the given example.
- Explain why it is preferable for the community to lead rather than researchers come in from the outside to push for change within the community.