Unit VIII Course Project
1. Conduct an audit of the following safety management system elements at your organization, or an organization with which you are familiar and have access to the required information:
SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM ELEMENTS ANSI/AIHA Z10 SECTIONS COURSE TEXTBOOK CHAPTERS
1. Occupational Health and Safety Management System 3.1.1 8
2. Occupational Health and Safety Policy 3.1.2 8
3. Responsibility and Authority 3.1.3 8
4. Employee Participation 3.2 8
5. Review Process, Assessment, and Prioritization 4.1, 4.2 9
6. Risk Assessment 5.1.1 11
7. Hierarchy of Controls 5.1.2 14
8. Design Review 5.1.3 15
9.Management of Change 5.1.3 19
10. Procurement 5.1.4 20
11. Monitoring and Measurement 6.1 21
12. Incident Investigation 6.2 22
13. Audits 6.3 23
14. Corrective and Preventive Actions 6.4 23
15. Feedback to the Planning Process 6.5 23
16. Management Review 7.1, 7.2 24
Below you will find some suggested sources for the objective evidence to support your evaluation:
? Documents: Organizational safety manuals and instructions, safe operating procedures, and job hazard analyses
? Records: E-mails or letters from management to employees, safety meeting minutes, mishap logs, audit reports, OSHA citations, inspection reports, risk assessments, and training records.
? Interviews: Management personnel, supervisors, and employees
? Observation: Walk through some workplaces to observe conditions for yourself.
2. For each management system element, discuss the objective evidence you found (or were unable to find).
Evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s implementation of each element against available reference sources and best practice information. Use the following five-tier evaluation scheme to rate each element:
? World Class: OHS performance
? Strong: Conforming/complete, may have minor gaps with action plans
? Moderate: Scattered non-conformances need to be aIDressed, positive trends/major elements in place
? Significant Non-Conformances Exist: Still needs focus
? Major Effort Required: Major or systemic non-conformances exist
Appropriate references include the course textbook, textbooks from other college-level courses, ANSI/AIHA Z10-2012, other published consensus standards (ANSI, ASSE, AIHA, ISO, NFPA, etc.), OSHA standards and voluntary guidelines, and articles published in professional journals. Blogs, Wikipedia, About.com, Ask.com and other unmonitored Internet resources are not considered scholarly references and should not be used. Please contact your professor if you have any questions about the appropriateness of a reference source.
3. If an element is found to be less than World Class, provide recommendations for improvement. Be sure to use appropriate scholarly reference sources to support your recommendations.
4. Conclude the audit report with a summary of the overall status of the organization’s safety management system.
The Course Project must be a minimum of seven pages and a maximum of 10 pages in length, not including the title, abstract, and reference pages. A minimum of five professional references sources must be used.