Performance Objectives Upon completion of this course, the student will:
• Describe the history and goals of transportation regulation and policy. • Distinguish modes of transportation and their respective functionalities.
• Define, demarcate and explain the following critical elements of the US transportation system: The US Highway System The Interstate Highway System US Rail System, Intermodal Systems Inter-coastal Waterway Intra-costal Waterway Lakes to Gulf System Tennessee-Tombigbee Warrior River System Air Transport System Hub-and-Spoke System.
• Describe the impact of transportation on the environment, on society, on the economy and on social and economic organizations.
• Evaluate new transportation technologies for their economic viability and practical usefulness.
• Develop solutions to transportation problems from policy, logistical and technical perspectives.