From the library access the following text: Healthcare Operations Management (Authors: Daniel B. McLaughlin & Julie M Hays). Review Chapter 1: The Challenge and the Opportunity (Introduction to Healthcare Operations).
Then, review common hospital operations problems at http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-management-administration/5-common-hospital-problems-and-suggestions-for-how-to-fix-them.html.
Select two of the problems identified in the above article and develop a 2- to 3-page paper assessing the reasons for the problems and possible solutions (recommended solutions should include a brief plan of action). In your paper, identity which of the ten action steps recommended by Institute of Medicine (IOM) to close the quality chasm is applicable to each selected problem. The ten action steps can be found on pages 6 and 7 of the text or at the following link: http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2001/Crossing-the-Quality-Chasm/Quality%20Chasm%202001%20%20report%20brief.pdf
SLP Assignment Expectations
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to support your identification of problems and recommended solutions
- Limit your response to a maximum of 3 pages.
- Support your SLP with peer-reviewed articles, with at least 2 references. Use the following source for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php.
- You may use the following source to assist in your formatting your assignment: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.
- AHRQ. (2002). Improving health care quality. Retrieved from https://archive.ahrq.gov/research/findings/factsheets/errors-safety/improving-quality/improving-health-care-quality.pdfFields, R. (2011). 5 common hospital problems â€“ and suggestions for how to fix them. Retrieved from http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-management-administration/5-common-hospital-problems-and-suggestions-for-how-to-fix-them.htmlIOM. (2001). Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. Retrieved from http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2001/Crossing-the-Quality-Chasm/Quality%20Chasm%202001%20%20report%20brief.pdfJones, E., Hartley, C., & Roberts, W. (n.d.). The definition of health care operations. Retrieved from http://www.hipaa.com/the-definition-of-health-care-operations/Joshi, M., Ransom, E. R., Nash, D. B., & Ransom, S. B. (2014). The healthcare quality book: Vision, strategy, and tools. Chicago, Illinois: Health Administration Press.McLaughlin, D. B., & Hays, J. M. (2008). Chapter 1: The challenge and the opportunity. Healthcare operations management. Chicago: Health Administration Press.
Evans, M. (2017). Dr. Mike Evans video: An illustrated look at quality improvement in health care. Retrieved from http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/AudioandVideo/MikeEvansVideoQIHealthCare.aspx
American Academy of Family Physicians. (2017). Basics of quality improvement. Retrieved from http://www.aafp.org/practice-management/improvement/basics.htmlJames, B. C. (1989). Quality management for health care delivery. Retrieved from https://www.ghdonline.org/uploads/QMMP.pdf