Water Treatment Plant Design Project (Stage 1, Due fraiday September 21th)
1) Using the population trend in the past 30 years (download the historical population records
either from census.gov or look it up at Wikipedia) , project the population of leesburg VA you chose
in the next 30 years with 5 years intervals from year 2010 using arithmetic, exponential,
declining growth and the logistic approach. Indicate which projection matches the data better
and mention the justification for your choice.
2) Calculate the average daily water consumption for leesburg VA. To find the per capita average daily
water demand in the town use the map in document “average water use in US.pdf” uploaded on
the black board page for the course.
3) Calculate the maximum daily water consumption.
4) Calculate the maximum hourly water consumption for the town using the hourly water
consumption rates given in the spreadsheet “Hourly water demand”.
5) The regulatory agency in charge of the waterway you are extracting the water from allows a
maximum water withdrawal of up to 5% of the flow in the waterway or lake. Assuming that the
daily water consumption everyday is equal to the average daily water use, determine the
percent of days during a year the water demand for your town violates this criteria. Also
calculate the return period of this violation.
6) Using the relationship given by the national board of fire underwriters calculate the flow rate
required for fire fighting. Find the required fire flow duration from the table in the document
called “fire flow duration”. Calculate the total fire water storage required.
7) Calculate the total water storage needed for the plant.
*Note: Submit your calculations in a word document and an excel file. In the document explain all
the assumptions and step taken for calculating the storage. In the excel file have all the calculations
use the data in file excel (Population of Cities in) from assingment 1
and the rests file for help