- Part 1: Analyze the sales approach of the organization that sells the product or service of your choice.
- Investigate how a selected product or service is typically sold.
- Explore the relationship between the salesperson and the customer.
- Part 2: Identify the skills required to sell the service or product.
- Part 3: Assess your own fit with the skill to sell the selected product or service.
The goal of this assessment is to investigate how a selected product or service is typically sold and explore the relationship between the salesperson and the customer. Select a product or service with which you are familiar. Examine the role of personal selling in regard to the product or service. Research how the product or service is sold; talk to individuals who might be involved in the sales process, or observe to learn more. Analyze how the selling process for this product or service is typically approached. Assess your own sales skills and abilities in relation to the product or service.
Write a paper that aIDresses the following three parts:
Part 1 – Sales Approach and Orientation
Begin by analyzing the sales approach of the organization that sells the product or service you have chosen. Describe the role of the sales professional and present your own personal selling philosophy.
- Describe the personal selling role for this product (consultative, strategic, or partnership). What are the expectations of the personal selling role within the company?
- Describe the typical relationship between a salesperson and customer in this field. You may want to examine communication, frequency, nature of communication, and other elements. Describe methods used to strengthen the long-term relationship for repeat business and referrals.
Part 2 – Sales Expertise and Training
Once you have an understanding of the sales process used for the product or service, explore the skills needed to sell it.
- Describe what technical expertise and skills you believe are needed. Explain your rationale for each skill.
- Assuming a salesperson has solid general technical skills, identify other skills or abilities this person would need in order to sell this product or service. Develop training recommendations for these aIDitional skills. Explain why the training is needed and what it will accomplish in the sales relationship.
Part 3 – Fit Assessment
Put yourself in the role of a salesperson for your chosen product or service. Based on your work from the first two parts of this assessment, examine your own fit with the criteria you have identified.
- If you were the sales manager, how would you assess your own fit for this position?
- Would you hire yourself to do this job?